Thursday, November 03, 2005

Another Test for Not Smoking

As of now, I have gone 20 days without a cigarette. I have made it through the first few really bad days. I have made it through some really stressful things that popped up in my life (as they always seem to do when I think about quitting smoking), I even went on an extremely long road trip. And through it all I have somehow managed to resist the sometimes overwhelming urge to light one up. The road trip was a really big test for me. Usually when I get behind the wheel, I'm smoking like a chimney. It's a way to help pass the monotonous boredom of highway driving, and it helps keep me awake. But I was able to get through 1800+ miles without taking even one puff.

I can really only think of one more test I need to overcome. And that would be going to a bar. I have had a couple of beers at home since I quit, but I have not stepped foot in a bar in almost 3 weeks. Well, that's not completely true. Yesterday I did go to this little English type pub around the corner from where I work for lunch. But I went by myself, and just ate my meal and left. There was a certain twinge to light up while I was there. The big glass ashtray with the Camel logo in the center was sitting right next to me at the bar. The line of taps sitting just to my right. The soccer game on the tube above my head. And just behind the bar, I could see the display of packs of smokes available for sale. The girl sitting two seats down from me finished her meal and lit up a cigarette. I occasionally glanced her way and thought about how many times I lit up immediately after finishing my meal. Part of me really wanted to ask her for one, but the larger part was pleased that I really didn't need it.

So tonight, I think I will head to one of my favorite hang outs. There will be karaoke tonight. And the bar is typically pretty smokey. I've already told myself that if I feel tempted, I will walk out. On the advice of a friend, who has been quit smoking for a very long time, I plan to tell the bartender, wait staff, and my friends that I have quit, and to please do not buy me drinks or shots or in any way aid me in getting really trashed where my judgement might be weak. I'm pretty sure they will support me in my drive to give up this habit. Wish me luck, for tomorrow at 6pm EST, will be my three week mark. And from what I've read, this is a very dangerous time to slip and start smoking again.

~peace

No comments: