Monday, November 08, 2004

MNF

Ahhh.. football season. The most wonderful time of the year! I for one think that no professional sport season should really be much longer than football season. Of course, I do wish it were longer, but I certainly don't want it to ever slip into the realm of NBA or god forbid baseball. We're already catching basketball pre-season games, and seriously, who really cares about pre-season basketball? Baseball is even worse. Those games start up while snow is still hanging around in many parts of the country and isn't over until the end of October! Are you freakin kidding me? This from a sport where there is only 20 minutes of action in the whole game, but it still takes 4 hours to get it over with. Excuse me while I take a nap. If it weren't for ESPN SportCenter, I would never catch a single baseball game. That 30 second clip will show you EVERYTHING that happened in the entire game, and you can still tell your coworkers, "yeah, that was a great catch" or whatever. And you didn't have to waste your entire evening to see it.

But football! Action on every play, beasts of men running head first into each other and getting the snot smacked out of them. Throwing an oddly shaped ball 50 yards downfield to a guy in double coverage, threading the needle between the defenders, a leaping acrobatic one-handed catch for a huge gain, or better yet a touchdown. Or some 250 pound running back finding a seam in the line, making a quick stutter step to the left and breaking out for a 25 yard pick up, while dragging a couple of linebackers on his heels. A clutch kick with 5 seconds left on the clock, watching it sail 40 yards through the uprights for a spectacular come-from-behind win. This game has it all!

And then there is Monday Night Football. The godsend of the start of the week. Even working the night shift, I'm able to get out of here early enough to catch the second half, and sometimes I can even make the 2nd quarter. And since I work every weekend, Monday is actually my Wednesday, and is the perfect mid-week break I need. Whoever it was that thought up Monday Night Football, a sincere and heart felt thank you!

Beer Wench! Another round!

No comments: