Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Still at it

Well, this will be my 11th day of not smoking. It hasn't been easy, but it is getting easier each day. Yes, I still have cravings, but they aren't all that bad any more. And they are nothing like that fourth day. That was mind numbing!

And I have someone who has joined me on this quest too. One of the other managers at AKA Radio has joined me in quitting. Phaedie, you're doing great! Keep it up! I'm really proud of you!

She had told me that if I broke her old record of five and a half weeks, she would join me in quitting. Then she changed her mind and joined me early, and I'm really happy about that.

But I've also promised myself that I won't be one of those former smokers who just go nuts when around smokers, telling them how bad it is, or bitching about it in restaurants and such. Come on, people, you used to smoke! Stop being so tyranical about it! You of all people should know how hard it is to quit, and that, for those who smoke, get a lot of enjoyment from it. Stop pissing on their parade. We have a saying at AKA Radio.. if you don't like what you are hearing, then turn it off. Well, if you don't like being around smokers, then leave. Bitching about it will never get them to stop smoking.

No one bitched at me to quit. Yeah, my mom leaned on me a little, but not hard. And other than my mom, no one really even asked me to quit. I did this for myself. I was tired of waking up in the morning coughing up a lung. I was tired of racing to my pack of cigs the second I woke up in the morning. I was tired of making sure I had a pack with me when I left the house, and making sure that there were enough in that pack to last me until I could either get home, or get somewhere to buy more. I was tired of watching my money burn up, literally. I was tired of finding yet another cigarette burn on my couch, floor, clothes, etc. And I was tired of being a slave to the cigarettes. Bottom line here, I was tired of smoking.

From the counter on the left, at this point, I have already not smoked over 300 cigarettes, and have saved almost $50.00. Money that I can use on other things that mean a lot more to me. Money that can be used on something tangible, or to bring happiness to me and those around me. And not watch yet another dollar go up in smoke.

No comments: